Friday, April 2, 2010

Uni Alpha Gel: Original

So here goes my first review... It's an amateur review, so bear with me.


Picture courtesy of jetpens.com
Sorry the picture's a bit cropped... T_T

This Uni Alpha Gel is the first series produced by the popular writing instrument company. It is said that the gel can keep an egg from cracking when dropped from five feet above. I'm pretty skeptical about this though... There are six colours of this the grip in this series: pink, green, sky blue, white, orange, and black. This is far different from any other pencils I've used before acquiring this one. In fact, this pencil is the first writing instrument that got me addicted to Japanese stationery.

Around the 7th grade, a lot of kids at school had these kinds of pencils (and the Dr. Grip Ltd.), so I got curious and bought an American version of the Dr. Grip Center of Gravity (also known as G-Spec). Not satisfied, I sought out to find the Alpha Gels, but no luck. Then I went to Japan and bought a few of these beauties and the Dr. Grip G-Spec (which I'll review later), as well as some candies, but I digress.

From the looks of it, the pencil is round and the grip certainly looks squishy to the touch. There's a loop on the top from where you can hang some kind of a charm...no pocket clip though. The tip is a plastic-ish sort of metal that while it doesn't look cheap at all, it also has a smaller, lighter-coloured grip near the top of the tip. At the top of the pencil is painted "uni αgel."

MOVING ON... this pencil has a very squishy, somewhat comfortable grip. The main attraction to this pencil is the squishy grip and the metal barrel. The metal barrel is easy to scratch, which looks unsightly on the pencil. The metal barrel makes this pencil balanced in a way. It's cool to the touch (unless you left it in the oven for too long, along with the meat loaf) if you wanted to switch pencils because the other one was getting too...warm. Yeah, I have that problem and pencils being too warm are always a problem with me.

Now going onto the cons... The grip on this pencil is very susceptible to tearing. There's even a label on the barrel telling you not scratch it, dig your nail through it, etc. This hasn't happened to me though. I take good care of mine. ;D ...Okay, the inside of my pencil has a few tears, but nothing major. It just looks bubbly from the outside. Metal barrel scratches very easily. The cap on the top is very easy to lose. This pencil is also circular, making it susceptible to rolling off the table if given enough force. Other than that the charm loop somewhat stops it from rolling off. It attracts eraser dust and lint easily.

This pencil was about $5-$6 when I bought it, $7.50 at Jetpens. Overall, this is a pretty good pencil. Pretty fragile though. You have to take good care of the grip and the metal barrel.

So as a recap if you didn't want to read all that...

Pros:
-Squishy grip (claims it stops an egg from cracking at 5ft).
-Metal barrel makes it cool to the touch.
-Metal barrel makes it somewhat balanced.

Cons:
-Grip very susceptible to tearing.
-Metal barrel is easy to scratch.
-Can roll off the table if given enough force.

Price: $7.50 at Jetpens

20 comments:

  1. do you know where to buy this pencil? I like the color but I don't know where to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

    Click Here
    Codepen.io

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

    Website
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    BET Right
    You BET

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

    Ceti.edu.gt
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  7. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    Forums.prosportsdaily.com
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    My.desktopnexus.com
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

    Furaffinity.net
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    Investsay.blogspot.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  11. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

    Aseopereira.gov.co
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

    Fxug.net
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

    Visit Web
    Vascular.org
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

    Social.microsoft.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete