Monday, July 26, 2010

Uni-Ball Alpha Gel Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil


What do you get when you mix awesome with awesome? You get an EPIC WIN!!! And that's what the Uni-Ball Alpha Gel Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil is! (Try saying that five times fast...) This pencil is the lovechild combination of the Alpha Gel and the Kuru Toga models. Uni-Ball was smart and combined two great pencils into one. Actually, if you compare this with the two, you can even tell which parts of the pencil were taken from which model!




First things first, the design of this pencil is a hybrid of the Kuru Toga, Alpha Gel, and the Dr. Grip (despite the fact Dr. Grip is made by Pilot). This pencil is entirely made of plastic, which was probably a trait carried over from the Kuru Toga line. Then we move down to the grip, which isn't as squishy as the Alpha Gel models (probably lacking a chromosome?). The grip feels nearly like a Dr. Grip...grip but squishier. In fact, the upper body seems like a trait carried over by the Dr. Grip as well! You could unscrew the top to reveal an outer barrel and an inner body (the colored part). The clip eerily looks like the Dr. Grip's clip too. The only thing missing to strengthen the similarities is the shaker... Then again, it could all be a coincidence.

Moving back to the Kuru Toga, like in the high-grade series, shows the symbol that displays the Kuru Toga engine in action. As you write, the engine moves to keep the pencil tip sharp, and when the symbol shows orange, it indicates the full rotation of the engine. The eraser cap has the same symbol as the cap on the KT pencils. The tip is not retractable. It extends outward when you press the top, but it does not affect writing or gripping it, as far as I'm concerned.



As far as writing goes, the KT engine keeps the tip sharp and produces a fine line compared to regular pencils. When compared to a regular pencil, the regular pencil shows thicker lines than the KT pencils as shown above. The pencil is relatively lightweight and weighs similar to the original KT pencils than most of the Alpha Gel pencils. One concern was if you didn't screw the silver top tight enough, the transparent barrel could be left spinning around as you write.

So to recap...

Pros: Two great concepts rolled into one
Cons:
Costs: $12.75 at Jetpens

Overall, I give this a 10/10!

16 comments:

  1. awesome!
    luv this review too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..nice blog you got there..keep it up..

    be aware not to be a victim
    bestessays scam


    regards,
    badloi

    ReplyDelete
  3. best pencil i have used in my whole life. I used the dr. grip--> ok not my favorite, shaka shaka alphagel -> i liked it really nice pencil, kurutoga--> writes very well but not very comfortable to hold. However, I would strongly recomment the alpha gel kurutoga

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the regular Kuru Toga, though this one looks cooler and more comfortable because of the grip. On the downside I wanted something I could use for sketching, so this one didn't work out so well for me, as there wasn't enough pressure to activate the mechanism to get it to rotate. Just something to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luv this review. I sort of like the doctor grip, I luv the alpha gel, but I've never tried a kuru toga. But after hearing this review I really really really want one!!!!!!!!:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its Awesome! I's sure you will LOVE it!

      Delete
  6. Great Review, I have the old alpha gels, and this review helped me a lot whether to get the new Kuru Toga or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On analyzing the negative impact of television violence on youth, it is primarily necessary to dwell upon the representation of violence in modern mass media. As it has been already mentioned above order writing essay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ashley, can you compare this and the regular Kuru Toga for me? I have the regular one, and while it works as advertised, there is a lot of side to side play in the tip. It makes it annoying to write with once the novelty of the engine wears off.

    Can you comment on the amount of play in the AG version you've reviewed here? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should comment on the competition comparison of the blog. You can highlight it's mind boggling. Your blog exploration/tour will broaden your conversions. Agen Texas Poker

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may post on the professional credentials for the blog owner. You could express it's outstanding. Your blog experience can springboard your click through. Sbobet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the info, maybe I can use this ended my tufted marketing and I've been use untold anulus media in run a interaction and they someone existing a big amend on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should comment on the competition comparison of the blog. You can highlight it's mind boggling. Your blog exploration/tour will broaden your conversions. Taruhan Olahraga

    ReplyDelete