Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Marvy Le Pen: Burgundy



These pens have been around for more than a quarter of a century, yet I've never heard of these! I saw these at a local office supply discount store (a discount store? To fuel a pen addiction? SWEET!), and the first thing I noticed was how thin these pens are. I was attracted to the fact that it was a felt-tipped pen for a reasonable price. Felt-tipped pens usually go for $2-$3 a pop, but these went for $1.39. (Maybe it's the fact it was a discount store, but whatever.) I picked up a burgundy version of the pen. Below are the lyrics to "Maybe Tomorrow" by Stereophonics written with the pen.


This pen is about 7 mm in width and stands 14 cm tall. Overall it's a pretty thin pen. This seems like a minimalist pen – no grip, thin, not many bells and whistles, metal clip, and the such...not saying it's bad. There's a metal clip on the cap that seems sturdy to clip on books, papers, etc. Engraved are the words "Le Pen Marvy Japan" in silver.

The felt tip is .3 mm, but it writes a bit bigger than that. The ink comes out a nice wine red and writes quite well. It sort of scratches a bit on the paper, but that might be the felt. Also, the tip seems a bit fragile and slightly bends in the direction I'm writing.

This pen would be good for doodling or taking notes with. This isn't something I would use to write out my homework. (Then again, most of that is done on the computer nowadays...)

So to recap...

Good: Minimalistic, rich colour, sturdy metal clip, cheap
Bad: Tip scratches slightly, fragile; likely to crush
Costs: $0.50-$2.00

I give this pen...

a B+!

5 comments:

  1. Nice review, seems to write nicely. Every time I see a pen write a solid line, I instantly worry about bleed-through. My favorite pen is the Zig millenium, if you would like to try it at some point. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please would you help me find this pen in Vancouver. It is perfect for a traveller and small handbag.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy them at the Carlton Cards in Bentall Shopping Centre downtown Vancouver

      Delete
  3. Mate this is a very nice blog here. I wanted to comment & say that I enjoyed reading your posts & they are all very well written out. You make blogging look easy lol I’ll attemp to start a blog later today and I hope it’s half as good as your blog! Much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read.

    ReplyDelete